Monday, February 1, 2010

Jane turned 5 in December

Jane is now 5 and will be starting kindergarten this fall!!! It's crazy how time flies! Her birthday party was a lot of fun to plan. She wanted to invite boys this year so I asked her what she wanted her party theme to be?? She came up with a lot of girly things and then Daddy jumped in there and suggested a Space theme. But then of course Daddy had to ask why the heck we needed a theme in the first place. I don't know about you but it's sooo much easier to plan when you have a theme . . .even if you do it all yourself. Jane jumped at that idea and so we had a Space theme for her party. Well when it came down to who she wanted to invite she decided to skip out on the boys this year. I told her that it was ok and that maybe another year we'll give it a try. I was still happy that her theme didn't have to do with pink, princess or ballerina. Not that those are bad but it was a nice change to do something different.

So here's the party in a nutshell. I didn't get pictures of the actual party because I video tapped it for Brent since he couldn't be there.

I did look up online a few game ideas but as for decorations . . .well they just came to me and it was a lot of fun!

The kids helped make glittery stars to hang from the ceiling. I showed them how I thought the stars should look but of course they had their own plan. Jane made smiley faces on most of them and and insisted that one of them be decorated like Patrick Star from Spongebob!



One of the activities the girls did when they first arrived was make a rocket. (Out of a TP roll, wrapped in aluminum foil them decorated with cool glittery balls. Oh and of course streamers coming out of the tail end for the "flying" effect".

For this game below you had to launch your rocket throw a meteor shower and make it safely to the other side.
Jane and Ethan posing for the camera!


The hole they had to make it through.


Other games included picking up moon rocks (styrofoam) with a robot arm (tongs from the kitchen) and take it from end of the room to the other. Like a relay race game . . .but I realized most of the girls had no idea what a relay race was and most of them just stood there looking confused as ever!

Another game was planet musical chairs. I made huge planets out of cardboard and they had to walk around them and sit on the planet when the music stopped . . .and you know the rest =)


This is how I decorated the downstairs. I thought it would be cool to have the solar system hanging from the ceiling. There are only 6 planets and no they're not to scale. that's the sun hanging from the light fixture. (With flash)


Took the flash off so the lights would glow more!


The kids loved it and I only spent money on the sugar cookie ingredients that they decorated at the end and took home. I love stuff like this and I can get away with it not looking cheesy yet because they're still little and they think ANYthing you do it cool =)

4 comments:

Emily said...

Fun! That turned out really awesome. What a cool mom!

Anonymous said...

can i be a copy cat? that looks like so much fun!

mjseavers said...

Sure thing. It was way fun. Like I said a bit cheesy but they loved it =)

Kristen said...

You are an awesome mom. I am stealing your ideas someday!