Monday, June 28, 2010

Catching up with old friends (final series of Cali trip)

(Kristen I'm mostly doing this for you =)

It's always fun to catch up with old friends.  These particular old friends were not from elementary school or even high school.  They were my buddies from my first real job (so no I don't include the Dry Cleaners/Big 5 Sporting Goods or even DI as real jobs)  I got this job from my bishop but I don't think he was my bishop at the time . .I think he was just released.  Anyhow, he asked me if I wanted a filing job because one of he's employee's was going on maternity leave and they could use the extra help.  I figured, why not!  I've done filing millions of times for my dad at his office, this should be a piece of cake.  What cracks me up about the whole thing is what was a simple filing job turned into a full blown real position at Cardinal Health . . . with a real title!  Never had that before.

My first day was pretty cool.  I knew that one of my friends from high school was working there as well.  It was fun sharing this new experience with a great friend who, I feel, became an even closer friend while working there.  (Glad we're still in touch Kristen =).

And moving right along.  I've listed the cool things about this job, in no particular order . . .

*got a security key badge . . the kind that has the cool retractable clip so you can pull it out super quick, swipe your card and let go and it retracts back in a super cool spy sort of way.  Man I loved that thing.

*the best boss in the whole world!  one that actually stuck up for you and was sooo easy to talk to =)  

* Awesome vending machines

* dept. meetings during lunch and they PAY for your food!  La bou I miss you!

* my own cubicle with my name on it =)

*smoking breaks . .even though I didn't smoke but my smoker friends always included me on their breaks and were even kind enough to sit far enough away so I wouldn't breath in the smoke

*oooohhh a head set to talk on the phone so you felt even more important.

*when your friends from the outside world would visit you they had to sign in!  It was like a prison or something . . .I guess that would make me a prisoner . .hummm.  Well what job doesn't feel like that sometimes =)

*Cardinal Bars (they were crunch bars and you got one if you did something good for someone else!)

*company parties at nice hotels (I tell ya, never had that before at the Dry Cleaners or Big 5)

*paid vacation (saaaweet!)


I guess I could go on but the best was starting out as a little filing peon and somehow working my way up into Accounts Receivable, doing drop shipments and also worked as the Print Room Operator.  Then to top it all off I was making something like 8.50 an hour and my friend (Karen shown below) told me I should ask for a raise.  That scared the crap out of me but I thought, what will it hurt?  So I did.  And I got it.  Went from 8.50ish to 10.25 and hour!  The funny thing to me was I felt like I had NO CLUE WHAT THE HECK I WAS DOING!!  I never went to school to be and accountant or any of that stuff.  I went to college for Sign Language for pete's sake!  But it paid the bills and they seemed to like me so all was well.

Pic below: The redhead is Karen Pappalardo (and yes her last name is fun to say  . . .go on . . .give it a spin!)  and the blonde is Mindy Brack . .but not Brack anymore . . .blasted can't remember her new last name.  Then of course there is chubby me and it took all I had to actually post this pic with me in it.  I was tempted to photoshop me out.  But one day I won't be so round and I do look forward to that day =)

Mindy and her two beautiful daughters!                                            









Karen playing with Jane.  Did I mention she has a little boy named Gaetano???  I swear there's more letters in his name but that's what google came up with.  His name is fun to say too =)

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Holy Cow!! I can't believe you are still in touch with those guys! What a blast from the past...I laughed so hard when I remembered our "smoke breaks"!

mjseavers said...

Good times, eh? Yeah, we don't email or talk on the phone a whole lot just check in with each other once in a while. It was really fun visiting with them and remembering people I had forgotten.