Wednesday, January 5, 2011
3 - 2 - 1 . . . Reset
I'm not one for new year's resolutions. They're too easy to break. I, like most people, am constantly setting goals. I've had the usual weight loss, get out of debt, read the scriptures more, go to the temple type of goals. Which I still want to be better at but after 2010 I sort of see life differently. I was reading a book on how to get your child to fall asleep on their own and came across a sentence I rather liked. I can't find the exact wording but the gist of the sentence was; don't wait for a Monday to start your routine. Start on a Thursday instead. I really like that. I find I incorporate that a lot in what I do. My laundry day's used to be Monday's . . why? Because they suck already so I should make them worse?? Let's start on a Tuesday or Wednesday? I guess that's why I've never fancied New Year's. I felt like I was already being set up for failure. So last year I tried to start things when they worked for me and made sense. Because of this it made me constantly review my life and see where I was at at that time.
For instance, when Jane started up school last August, I was waking her up at 7:30 to be out of the door by 8:05. It worked great until the kids started waking up at 7:00. URG! Can't a person get some sleep?? Well then let's make the most of it. I had them cleaning up their rooms and whatnot, but they didn't care too much for that. Then the thought came into my head, "Hey, you used to read the scriptures before school when you were little. Why not start now?" So we did. And it was great! How sad would be if I would've waited and put that on my new year's resolution list??
I can say, though, that the one thing I love about New Year's is that it feels like a big reset button! I try to reflect on the past year and see the mistakes I made and try my hardest to never do them again. Looking back on past events helped me to realize I could have been more compassionate. I could have served more. I could have treated my children with more love and yelled less.
I know my view on this has it's holes and flaws. But it's what I got and I commend anyone for trying to be a better person and progressing no matter how they choose to do it.
I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to grow and learn in every aspect of my life. I'm thankful for a reset button every year to reflect on my past so I can move forward a better person. I'm thankful for brand new days to be a better mom, wife and . . .just a better me =)
*** Side note . . . .If I had to pick a big New Year's Resolution it might be something along the lines of finding JOY no matter the trials that come my way . . .=)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I REALLY enjoyed reading this post. I think because I agree with all of it. I also liked that you weren't humbug-ish about New Years or Resolutions (like I've read a lot lately...). Though I wouldn't be annoyed if you did feel that way, it's just that the post came off very uplifting and a good way to explain how I've been feeling too.
Well thanks Em. I did want to be humbug-ish. I think looking at something at a different angle can help you internalize it better =) Glad you dug it!
* I didn't want to be humbug-ish! sheesh . . .serves me right for typing one handed =)
Good to have you back!
Thanks Laura . . .this third baby is giving me a run for my money. I can't get him on a blasted schedule. So it was either drop the house chores or blogging. Well you obviously see who won. Plus last year alot of crap happened and I didn't want to blog about depressing things =)
Good stuff! I hate making resolutions I know I am just going to break in the end, so I never really make any. I just try to survive and maybe try to be a better person than I was the previous year. I like the way you put that philosophy into perspective!
Whew! I'm glad you guys understood what I was trying to say. I always wonder if I make sense. Especially when I think of these things when I'm falling asleep. Like the time Brent wrote a song when he was dreaming:
"There's a lego in my bed and it's hurting everyone but me" He thought it was the best song he'd ever written. Until he woke up and realized . . . it really wasn't. Good times =)
Post a Comment